1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3,4

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Taleisha's Testimony (Part One)

Well, where should I begin? I have always dreaded telling my testimony for as long as I can remember. I always saw it as so insignificant, like it wasn't a great story and who would even want to hear it. But my perception on it changed about 19 months ago, and now I am excited to have the privilege to share it with all of you.
I have grown up in a Christian home my entire life. I have been to the same church my whole life, gone to a Christian school my whole life, the same house my whole life and had basically the same circle of friends my whole life. Right up until the age of nine I had always just tagged along to church and done whatever my family did, because that's what just seemed normal to me. But in early September 2005 my parents sat down with me and told me that it was important that I didn't just go with the flow because it was 'the norm', but that I lived a Christian life because I wanted to, because I personally loved God and wanted to please Him. I realised then that I could never please God or get to Heaven because my parents loved and obeyed Him, but that the only way that I could, was if I personally accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and started to live the Christian life for myself, instead of just following my parents.

"Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"
- John 14:6

I needed to be the one who believed. On September eighteen I was baptised. At first I was pumped and so excited because I thought that I was going to hear God's voice, He would tell me to do something and I would do it. But that wasn't the case, and it took me a while to realise that it probably wasn't going to happen just like that. The next few years God was still in my life but I was guilty of putting other things before Him. In fact, the only time He was still in my life was on Sunday's in the morning church service, other than that I hardly spoke to Him or even recognised He was there.

It was 2008 when my aunty's cancer had returned to her body, and this time it was attacking her brain. This changed me around. It was like someone had flicked a switch on inside me that had been off for a very long time. I was constantly praying for her, day and night. She lived a few hours away so the time I got to spend with her are some of my most precious moments. Our family would get together and pray on occasions or I would talk to Meggie about how I was feeling, and often she would pray for me. We all wanted her to be healed, especially my mum. She hated watching her sister go through the pain. So in March 2009 my entire family of seven participated in the World's Greatest Shave. We all shaved our heads down to the skin so that we could raise money and donate it towards finding a cure for cancer. Together our family raised nearly nine thousand dollars. Unfortunately later that year she died. It only occurred to us after that she did get healed, God did answer our prayers. She got the ultimate healing she, and everyone praying for her, could have asked for. The healing of Jesus Christ...

There was one bible verse in particular that helped me deal with everything that followed next.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
- Jeremiah 29:11


Part two, the exciting part of my testimony, will be posted next week.
God bless!
Taleisha .


No comments:

Post a Comment