1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3,4

Saturday, July 7, 2012

What I Believe about Modesty...



And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands. – Psalm 90:17

I believe that my clothing must glorify God.

I believe that if what I wear is making me be someone I am not, then I am not glorifying God.

I believe that I wear the clothes that I wear so that guys, and others will notice and compliment me, then I am not glorifying God.

I believe that if I choose my clothing on the basis that I want to fit in with the fashion trends, then I am not glorifying God, but going after fashion as my idol.

Basically, when I choose clothes, anything that is tight, and shows every curve of my body shape, if it has a low neckline that shows any part of my breasts in any way and any action (bending down etc.), if it is shorter than my knees, than it is immodest.

But don’t drop me out as a ‘frump’! I still like to look beautiful, I just know that beauty isn’t everything. I like wearing ankle long beach dresses, knee-length skirts with tights underneath, and I love my boots.

God isn’t telling you that you cannot be tasteful, that you have to be unfashionable and wear bland clothes that cover every inch of skin. He is saying He has an even better way. That by being modest, at the end of the day, is more beautiful.

Love others more than you love yourself. We are here to serve others, even in our clothing.

~ Meggie

Check out Christa Taylor, a young woman who has embraced modesty with her blog: http://www.empoweredtraditionalist.com/  where she posts about modesty, and where you can find some great modest clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment