1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3,4

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Clothing and Modesty

Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. – Luke 12:23

Today instead of writing a proper post, I want to share some quotes and bible verses. Clothing is something that you must ask God for yourself what you shouldn’t and should wear. You need to talk to God alone about this, and decide what your boundaries will be. Because I know if I don’t have strict boundaries and I see a really cute top, with a low neckline, I will buy it anyway.

At the end of the post there is some questions. Think deeply about these questions, and ask God to show you the answers.

Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. – Philippians 2:4
If any interest draws our eyes [away] from Him, it’s sin. – Uncompromising, by Hannah Farver

Upper chest, thighs, stomach- these might seem like harmless areas to show off, but if you were married and wanted to stay that way, you wouldn’t allow another guy to touch you in any of those places. So why would you allow another guy to have the privilege of looking at what was meant for your husband’s pleasure alone? – The Lost Art of True Beauty, Leslie Ludy

Ladies, do you relate to your guy friends in a way that would make their future wives want to seek you out and thank you for being a sister to their husbands? – I Kissed Dating Goodbye, by Joshua Harris

The way we dress sends a message to those around us, whether we mean it or not. – The Lost Art of True Beauty, by Leslie Ludy.

There is a website called The Modesty Survey, which is a survey that hundreds of guys around the globe have filled out, giving us girls some help in choosing modest clothes. To find out what guys find immodest jump on there. Here are some quotes from this website.
 
The honest truth is this: We're not telling you what to wear -- we're just telling you what we, as guys, have to guard against. It is God's Word, your own heart and conscience, and your parents and godly friends who should help you decide what to do about it. But, to help you reach your own conclusions we've provided some excellent resources that strike a balanced, non-legalistic tone.
 – The Modesty Survey, http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/overview

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

Please don’t take modesty lightly. As your brother in Christ I value the relationship that I will have with my wife someday. When I am tempted because of you I lose a part of myself that I am trying to save for her. When I’m tempted because of you I become that much more accepting of the perversions in the world. When you remain pure and modest, my life is made so much easier. Instead of watching to ensure that I don’t sin I can focus on you as a person and fellow follower of Christ. I appreciate modesty more than you’ll ever know. Please, show respect of yourself and of me and be modest.  – From a sixteen year old guy.

Embrace it. Even though it always seems like guys only "want one thing," I, being a guy myself, can speak for most guys when I say that deep down inside most guys really just want a girl that has the confidence to not cheapen herself by dressing immodestly. It is time for both guys and girls to rise above the age-old stereotypes thrown at us by the media, adults, and each other, and take modesty to heart! – From a seventeen year old guy.

- Modesty Survey: http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse On 'Open Questions' and then 'If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?"



What does your appearance say about you?
Do you look for compliments from others?
Do I spend more time each day on dressing, than spending time with God?
Do you draw attention to yourself, or to Christ?

What would God have you do? Are you dressing how you want, or have you asked God to reveal to you how He would have you dress?

~ Meggie

No comments:

Post a Comment