1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3,4

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Make-up and the Gospel


I brought the brush to my nose. The foundation puffed into the air as I brushed it over my face. I felt like I was hiding, that somehow, I was covering up the real me.
Honestly, I still don’t know what I believe about make-up, I am still trying to work out if it is bad or good. But, we all think differently. So many good Christian girls wear make-up, and some of them strictly don’t wear it. I think it is what is in your heart.

Here are some quotes and bible verses that I have been really thinking about:
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent [our body], is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house [body] not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. – 2 Corinthians 5:1
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. – 2 Corinthians 5:10
Make sure what’s on the outside reflect the purity of the inside. – A Young Women After Gods Own Heart, by Elisabeth George.
Our goal should be to make ourselves presentable; remove all distractions; draw attention to our face, eyes and smile; and let our outward appearance showcase the inner joy, peace and love Christ is cultivating within our soul. – The Lost Art of True Beauty, by Leslie Ludy.
Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. – Proverbs 31:30
But when make-up ceases to accent the face and begins to cover the natural beauty God made, then it reflects the mixed-up priorities of the wearer. – Uncompromising, by Hannah Farvar.
There is a certain honesty and vulnerability in a clean, unembellished face. It shows humility and draws attention from the merely external to the soul shining through the eyes. – from the article, The Eye of the Beholder, by Bethany Patchin Torode. .
Take some time over these questions:

Why do I wear make-up?
Is make-up glorifying God in my life, or is it distracting me from Him?
Do I draw attention to myself, or to Jesus?

This is what Myra, a sister in Christ, thinks about make-up:
Why do we decorate houses or put flowers on our table or take anything and make it more beautiful? I believe that God made us to want beauty and crave beauty because He loves it. There is a beauty in Christianity, and I don't think it is wrong to take our physical appearances and make them more beautiful anymore than it is to take those things around us and make them more beautiful…if we are purposely masking our appearances because we are discontent with them, then we need to deal with our hearts. Our true confidence and our true beauty should come from knowing that we are daughters and servants of Jesus Christ and not from dressing like the latest models or wearing a pound of eye make-up.
…It's just that we have to remember that who we are on the outside isn't everything. There is so much more beyond the surface of our skin!...



~ Meggie

No comments:

Post a Comment