1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewellery or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. - 1 Peter 3:3,4

Monday, February 24, 2014

You Are Not A Failure

A few months ago I was at church and we had a guest speaker. I can't remember his name but he came to preach about failures. Something he proved he knew a lot about. He had been through so much and so many times felt like he had let down the people he cared about. But over a period of years God was teaching him that 'just because you have a failure, doesn't mean you are a failure'.

Failing is not something I'm unfamiliar with. Many times I have disappointed my parents, siblings, friends, myself and most definitely God. I'm not going to go into specifics, but I can honestly tell you that in those times I felt like I was a failure, like I had hit rock bottom and didn't deserve to be forgiven. When I heard this man speak (I wish I could remember his name!) it was right after a time when I had really let my parents, my best friend, myself and God down all at the same time. I was definitely not feeling very good about myself. But when I heard him preach, it was like he was speaking straight to me and telling me that I had failed (ouch), but that didn't mean I was a failure.

There is something else I learned from him. His message taught me that even though I messed up, God was still there waiting to pick me up again and help me continue along rough road ahead. But just because He was going to walk this with me, didn't mean my actions were free from consequences. That was probably the lowest point in my life. I apologised to those I needed to and God has continued to be the constant comfort I need. Our God is a god of endless second chances and new beginnings. And for that I am so thankful. Repenting to those I love and had hurt was no easy feat but I have never been more grateful for the love and forgiveness of all those involved.

Failure doesn't need to define us. Instead we can learn from it, get back on our feet and continue living a life where forgiveness is only one apology away. Don't forget that God is the ultimate Comforter and NOTHING is too big for Him! Everything we do should bring honour and glory to God.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9 

God bless,

~ Taleisha 

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I just happened to find your blog today. I read your About page and was intrigued. What a great way to use a blog! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete